Suspect surrenders in Garden Restaurant shooting that left 1 dead, 2 wounded

Written by admin on 26/07/2019 Categories: 苏州美甲纹绣培训

WATCH ABOVE: Det. Sgt. Gary Giroux walks through the security videos from the Garden restaurant that claimed the life of a 31-year-old man in November.

TORONTO —; Police say a suspect wanted in connection with a downtown restaurant shooting that claimed the life of a 31-year-old man in November has turned himself in.

Havard McKenzie, 24, of Toronto surrendered to police at 31 Division at about 1 a.m. Tuesday.


McKenzie has been charged with first-degree murder and eight other offences in the shooting death of Tariq Mohammed, 31, of Mississauga, inside the Garden Restaurant at 153 Dundas St. West on Nov. 16.

READ MORE: Toronto police release video in fatal Garden Restaurant shooting

Police responded to the shooting at about 4 a.m. and located three victims, Mohammed and two women, suffering from gunshot wounds inside the restaurant.

According to police, Mohammed was in the restaurant with a friend when they were approached by a group of individuals who proceeded to rob his friend’s expensive jewellery.

After the robbery, Giroux said the two men went back to their table and were followed by the suspects, when they got into another fight despite knowing the suspects were armed, Giroux said.

“Numerous shots were fired at the front of the restaurant which resulted in the death of the deceased. He was killed instantly at that point in time,” Giroux said in November.

“Two female patrons who were seated at the north side of the restaurant received their injuries from stray bullets.”

The two women were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police say the restaurant was packed with between 60 to 80 people at the time of the shooting, and that around two dozen witnesses were interviewed.

Marcus Gibson, 22, and Ceyon Carrington, 28, of Toronto both face charges including first-degree murder and robbery with a firearm.

READ MORE: 1 dead, 2 wounded in Toronto restaurant shooting

Police say the suspects fled southbound on Chestnut Street following the shooting.

Homicide investigators said they have been investigating the shooting at the restaurant since it occurred, and that a man was identified from the security camera footage at the scene.

Police said McKenzie faces nine charges in connection with the shooting including first-degree murder, pointing a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon, weapons dangerous, two counts of assault and three counts of robbery with a firearm.

McKenzie was scheduled to appear in court at 1000 Finch Ave. West on Tuesday at 10 a.m.

With files from James Armstrong and David Shum

Comments Off on Suspect surrenders in Garden Restaurant shooting that left 1 dead, 2 wounded