SAINT JOHN, NB- Richard Oland’s cell phone activity from the day before he died, and the day after, was examined on Tuesday as the second degree murder trial of Dennis Oland continued in Saint John.
Dennis, 47, is accused of killing his father in July of 2011.
READ MORE: Court hears from witnesses who may have heard Richard Oland being killed
Sylvie Gill, an investigator with Rogers Communications, took the court through a pair of call detail reports obtained through a court order for July 6th and 7th of 2011, the day Richard was believed to have been killed and the day his body was found.
Richard’s iPhone 4 was the only thing to go missing from the crime scene and has never been found.
Gill outlined Richard’s cell, noting many of the calls and texts came from the phone of his mistress Diana Sedlacek who testified at the trial last week.
The Crown asked when was the last communication that Richard’s phone would have received, which Gill said came at 6:44 pm and communicated with a cell tower in Rothesay on the Rothesay road. That corresponded with one of the times Sedlacek told the court last week she had tried to contact Oland.
READ MORE: Court sees items of Richard Oland’s blood stained clothing at trial on Friday
Earlier in the trial, the court heard Dennis Oland was in the area of the Renforth wharf in Rothesay early in the evening of July 6th. He went to the wharf and picked something up, walked down the wharf, put it in a bag and then left the area.
Gill also went over a report detailing the activity of the cell phone of Sedlacek as well as Richard Oland’s Rogers bill with references to things like internet usage, roaming data and wifi.
The afternoon session was taken up by discussions between the crown and defence on issues in the absence of the jury which cannot be reported.
The trial continues on Wednesday.